Clearwater Festival, Croton-on-Hudson, NY

Last Fall, I was at a dinner party @ Nancy & Yori's, with a fairly radical couple (Judy & Felix) who had fallen in love later in life.  I collect these love stories, I like to live vicariously.  Their story was about meeting at "Clearwater, The Great Hudson River Revival", a Music/Environmental Festival, started by the activist/musician Pete Seeger. Bells went off in my head.  I love Peter Seeger, he has a folk music festival?!? Here in NY State?!? I signed up to be a volunteer for three days in June.

Some of my happiest childhood memories involve music, boats and friends.  My older sisters were `60's protesters, they were musical, and they shared that love of music with me.  I played my "Folk Songs for Children" over and over again. It was my favorite album (until I discovered the Beatles in 1976 - ok, so I was always a little late). My sisters were always singing, so I did too (only to myself and in my mind). Somewhere a long the line I stopped singing.  Just thinking about and planning for Clearwater brought the music back.

Friday Morning, June 18th, 2010.  I was all packed, I had my committee assignment (Communications) and I set off on my latest adventure. I packed like a NYC Camper.  My tent from Amazon.com, my army surplus sleeping bag, my recycled dinner plate from Chinese takeout, my knife for a supermarket in Paris, my fork and spoon from my silverware basket.  I took photos on my Blackberry. I packed incidentals, my ground tarp, air mattress and pillow in a Duane Reade shopping bag, and strapped everything onto a ghetto trolley, tossed on my cancer rated sun hat, and I was set to go!!

When I got to the the camping area of Clearwater: The Great Hudson River Revival (at Croton Point Park) I was greeted by Mark from Peace Keeping as I stepped up to "Immaculate Reception" to check in and get my credentials. He was the first to wink and say hello and he was also the first person to use the word Hippie.  I was at home immediately!  I chose the "Night Owl" Camping area.  My rational was that I had lived through Burning Man, how loud could Clearwater get?  My camp was set up in 10 minutes.  It really wasn't very difficult, and my $9.99 Rite Aid camp chair not only fit perfectly outside my tent, it was portable, and fit inside the tent too!  Camping is GREAT!!

Pretty soon, I was wandering down the hill to acclimate myself to the festival lay out. A really nice volunteer hospitality person pointed me in the direction of the shortcut and if I avoided the poison ivy, I would have a quick path down the hill, through the "Quiet" Camping area and onto the back side of the festival, along the river, and close to the Volunteer dining area.

The festival was buzzing with set up.  The gates and the seven stages would be open on Saturday, and all the volunteers were arriving, setting up camp and going to their areas.  I was assigned to Communications. I saw Mark again, and I asked him where Communications was, he pointed "Right over there behind the Hippie van." I decided right then and there that my Clearwater drinking game would be that you have to do a shot every time you hear the work Hippie.  So far, Mark had me for two shots....  I stopped by to say hello, and then walked around the camp.  I had met another first time volunteer, Jeff, and we went to look at the ships as they were coming in to dock.

I had seen the Clearwater in full sail on the trip to the park, and we wewre lucky enough to see her coming into dock.  The Mystic Whaler was just coming in right behind her.  Clearwater is a sloop, launched in Maine in 1969. She is a wide bearthed beauty, that when in full sail is quite elegant as she tacks up and down the river. Clearwater was Pete & Toshi Seeger's dream actualized.  To see the Hudson River cleaned up, and to return sailing vessels to the waters. 2010 Clearwater was an actualization of those dreams. (although there is still a lot of work to be done)

After touring the boats and meeting some of the crew, Jeff and I got ice cream from a Mr. Softee truck, and went to pick up our official Clearwater volunteer t-shirts.It was amazing to see how beautiful the singnage is at Clearwater.  I was stunned by the Info Booth. Really, the care that goes into making this festival is beautiful.



I walked down the hill to the riverside, where the World Dance Stage had been set up, and the Green Living Expo tents were waiting for their vendors.  The Site Crew were just setting up the world, and the North, South, East, West signs.  It was amazing to see the crew roll the earth sphere along the water's edge and then place it upon it's fragile appearing, yet sturdy base.

After a stroll through the Activists Grove, I took a breather at a picnic table in the shade.  There was a woman setting up her signage for their Activists Exhibit, and we struck up a conversation.  I was trying to write in my diary about the day, but she had a lot to say.  She was from the NYCAMP.org group. Star worked for the Citizens Against Marijuana Prohibition.  If you click on their website, you can hear Star singing their theme song.  She sang it in person for me. It was a great hour.

6:30 and it was time for dinner.  My first meal at Clearwater.  (Volunteers are fed 7 meals for the weekend) This was where I learned about Clearwater time.  I was in line at 6:30, and they started serving at 6:50.  I was happy that I brought my recycled Chinese takeaway box, so I grabbed my dinner and headed off to my first Communications meeting. The meal was DELICIOUS.  Pulled Pork, a baked sweet potato, coleslaw and green bean salad.  The food at all weekend was outstanding.  To drink, I mixed Iced Tea with lemon-aid in my nalgene bottle, and I was set for the evening.

Then it was my first meeting, and getting to know the volunteers at Communications.  Susan, our coordinated asked us to introduce ourselves and say what object we would be to make music. I wracked my brain and though, "violin".  Nope,m that was used by the first person to speak.  Then I thought "drum".  Nope that was the second person's choice.  I was beginning to wonder if I was unlucky or psychic. Then Allison spoke.  And I liked her right off the bat.  She said, "Hi, I am Allison, and I would be a Harmonica so Bob Dylan could blow me."  After I stopped laughing, (and the group settled down), it was my turn. I chose Triangle, and I said it was because I have just one note.  Really, how can anyone follow "Bob Dylan can blow me?!?" The meeting was fun, we went over some procedures, checked our schedules (I was on the 8am - 11am shift) and then we were off to relax before the next all volunteer meeting at the world dance stage.

The sun was setting, and I had found my favorite bench in the park.  It was quiet, and I was at peace.  At this point in my life, I needed as much peace and reflection as I could get.  Clearwater brought me that.  And it is evident by the first Sunset. I simply sat there and let the darkness wash over me.  But I did stop to snap a picture. The mics on the Hudson stage were quiet, the park was quiet, and for the first time all summer, my mind was quiet.  It is GREAT to get out of the city.

After nightfall, I made my way to the solar powered World Dance Stage.  There were a few people sitting at the stage with instruments, and I sat with them.  The next thing I knew, we had burst into song.  It was serene.  Strangers in an impromptu singalong.  We never introduced ourselves, we simply called out a key, or a verse, and as the crowd gathered for the meeting, more and more voices joined in.  We were all there for the music after all. Pete is right "Participation is what will save the human race." For almost 40 minutes, we all sang, and people danced. The microphone was passed for each verse amongst those on the stage, and then after a rousing "This Land is Your Land" , our volunteer meeting started.  We were welcomed, and introduced to the Clearwater Team.  Soon enough, I was making my way back up through the shortcut, u\in the dark, following a woman who had thought to wear a headlamp. I noted to myself to remember to put my flashlight in my backpack before I headed down the hill the next morning.

I got to my tent, and the campground had been filled with tents.  Instruments were out, and the evening sing alongs had started.  I was happy to have chosen the "Night Owl" camping area. I cracked some of my NOT environmentally correct glow sticks and lit up my tent form the inside.  Mine became the rainbow glowing orb. I pulled up a chair, sat by a citronella candle, and was serenaded by strangers singing classic songs of my life. Some Johnny Cash, some Pete Seeger, some Rolling Stones and even some current music.  After an hour, I crawled back to my tent, and fell asleep to the hard core campers still singing.  It was a great way to fall asleep. Until the middle of the night when a young man from New Paltz felt the urge to scream "I am really drunk!" Yes, he was.  I can attest to that.  Then, someone drove up, and their headlights illuminated my tent.  Soon, I heard Mark's voice. He was leading this latecomer to a camping space.  Her name was Sandy "like the beach" She was from Canada, and had borrowed her father's car to come to Clearwater for the weekend.  I never saw Sandy's face, but her 2am voice and her story are burned into my memory. Mark helped her set up her tent, and soon enough camp was quiet for the night.

Morning was cool and refreshing.  I walked to the pool house to use the "real" bathroom (as opposed to the numerous portapotties). I walked down for coffee and breakfast, noted how beautiful the river is in the morning, and then went for my first shift at communications.  The 4 - 8am shift was two Russian girls, their friend an Azerbaijani, a Clearwater Veteran and a recent transfer from Peace Keeping.  I immediately bonded with the Russian Girls.  It was fun to see them on the walkie talkies chatting with Peacekeeping.  I heard about how they entertained themselves during the early morning shifty, and they were anxious to watch the World Cup matches. Soon enough they were off, and I took over the walkie talkie station. I signed out radios, changed batteries, and basically just hung out for four hours.  Communications is a tight knit group of people who have known each other annually for many years.  It was a great community to be welcomed into. Susan our leader and Josh her co-leader were both great communicators.  The explained things really well, and made me feel at home.

More to come.....






 

1 comment:

michkhoo said...

some photos of orlando disney world:
http://michkhoo.blogspot.com/2011/05/disney-world-orlando-florida.html